|Sailing on Wind Spirit 3|
: Sailors on Vesper
–: New Video – Sailing on Wind Spirit 3
: New Menus for Chromium 59
: Nick & Steph's Wedding
: The Commodore's Sailpast
: Launching Great White J
: Sailing on Wind Spirit 3
: Firefox 52 Breaks Audio on Lubuntu - updated, as Mozilla closes the bug raised as "wontfix"
: Sailing with Friends
: Five Years Without a Haircut!
: New Video – Hogs Back Run-Off
: Three Bad Sectors
: First Sail of the Season
: Vesper is Launched
: Vesper is Ready to Sail
: New Video – Hogs Back in Full Spring Flood
: Firefox 52 Breaks Audio on Lubuntu - updated again, this time with market share news, plus a fix on Lubuntu!
: uBlock Origin, Web Browser Wide-Spectrum Blocker Extension
: More Ice Skating on the Rink of Dreams
: Firefox 52 Breaks Audio on Lubuntu
: A Look at Chromium 55
: Last Ski of the Winter?
: At the National Gallery
: New Recipe – Lynn's Delicious Risotto with Fresh Mushrooms
: Ice Skating on the Rideau Canal
: Ice Skating on the Rink of Dreams
: Snowshoeing In The Greenbelt
: Snowshoeing Expedition
: Skiing in the New Year
: The Canadian Private Fleet Hits Zero Growth in 2016
: Ruth's Prime Fudge recipe wins the 2016 National Capital FreeNet Baking Competition!
: Adam's 2016 Writing Project Finishes the Year at 437 Articles
: Skiing Starts
: Video Editing With Pitivi 0.98 – updated
- Ruth's eulogy (36 kB download)
- Ruth Denounces Parking Lot Midways, story & cartoons (170 kB download)
- Are you going to give a High School Valedictory Speech? Why not save yourself all that time writing a new one and use my Valedictory Speech instead? (60 kB download)
I am on Diaspora, the free, disbursed social network that is community run on free software, advertising free and you own your data.
Diaspora runs on many different pods, all networked together. Posts on one pod are synchonized to the other ones, making a seamless social network.
Find a pod, sign up and join me!
Since I have been using Linux-based computer operating systems and you could be too, for free!
Right now I am using the Lubuntu operating system. Linux is free, very stable, has tens of thousands of free applications to do everything you need and doesn't run Windows viruses or spyware. It is perfect for me. If you want to read about my experiences switching from Windows to Linux, have a look at The Ubuntu Diaries Part I, Part II and Part III. I also supply Linux DVDs.
These two websites have some very useful background for people new to Linux:
For information on free and open source software for Windows have a look at the Windows Open Source/ Freeware Project. I also have a Best of Free Windows Software DVD for users on dial-up who can't download huge files themselves.
For a list of recommended free software for all operating systems see the Free Software List.
Worthwhile free software that I use
- APT - package manager
- Audacious - music player
- Audacity - audio editor and recorder
- ClamAV - anti-virus
- Chromium - web browser
- Evince - PDF reader
- Exiv2 - metadata manager
- File Roller - archive manager
- FileZilla - file transfer protocol
- GIMP - image editor
- GParted - partition editor
- GPRename - bulk file renamer
- Gufw - firewall
- Guvcview - webcam
- jEdit - text editor
- Kdenlive - video editor
- Leafpad - text editor
- LibreOffice - office suite
- LXDE - desktop environment
- Lubuntu - operating system
- PCManFM - file manager
- Python - programming language
- Simple Scan - scanning
- Scrot - screenshot tool
- Startup Disk Creator - USB boot utlity
- Tesseract - optical character reader
- Transmission - bit torrent client
- uBlock Origin - web browser wide-spectrum blocker extension
- VLC - media player
- Wget - web page downloader
- Wifi Radar - wifi manager
- WhoIs - domain system tool
- XFburn - CD/DVD creator
- Youtube-DL - video downloader
- Zimbra Collaboration - webmail