Charities that Need your Help,|
by Tony Copple, Ottawa
One of my goals is to have enough money to support all the charities I
like. In the meantime, this page will be a receptacle of links to good
charities as I hear about them. Some, such as missing children's organizations, could suddenly be
vitally important to you.
Every charity is also an opportunity for volunteers. Volunteer Canada estimates that the 13M volunteers in Canada do work equivalent to 1M paid citizens. Investors Group has sponsored National Volunteer Week for Volunteer Canada. My own volunteering is primarily for Christian activity such as the Alpha Course, Prison Alpha ministry, Global Day of Prayer and Good News Christian Ministries. I am also an on-air volunteer host at CKCU, and deliver food to clients of the Kanata Food Cupboard.
It is sometimes a problem for youth under 16 to be accepted as a volunteer. If you are one, take a look at CAYFO or call (613) 244-3803 in Ottawa.
Before getting to the list however, I would like to mention "Toronto Hndicapped
Company" which is a company employing disabled people
only, manufacturing light bulbs with 5-year guarantees, and other
products. They office is at 930 Queen Street East, Toronto, ON., M4M 3L8 and their
number is 416-461-2722. They have
light bulbs for
every purpose, the basic price being around $5.50 Minimum shipping cost is about
$5, but you can avoid this by collecting from the office. From my
personal experience, these bulbs outlive their guarantee, so save you
money, while providing employment for disabled people.
Rick Hansen is a well known Canadian hero. Visit
Kids in motion to see just how Rick continues his work, motivating and encouraging children and adults.
If you live in Kanata, please support the (Western Ottawa) Community Resource Centre. They operate a secondhand
clothing store: The Backstairs Attic, 300 Eagleson Rd, Kanata (beside the
LCB in Hazeldean Mall), tel 591-7703, with a drop-off box for your surplus
clothes available 24 hours. 100% of proceeds go to the CRC
- The Code - Ottawa group set on mentorship for youth.
- Help Lesotho - Founder Peg Herbert. Interview on Over my Head, CKCU
- The War Horse Project - 613-585-1208 - Jill Jeffrey. For veterans and first responders affected by trauma.
- L'Arche Canada - founder Jean Vanier - homes for people with intellectual and physical disabilities
- National Educational Association of Disabled Students - located in Carleton University, next to CKCU
- Charity Village.com - including paid work with charities
- Big Sky Ranch Animal Sanctuary for abused and unwanted animals, where Gerry Hogan volunteered. 613-258-7118
- Indspire Indigenous education - bursaries for First Nations youth
- Abilities Centre Ottawa - Recreation facilities including for the disabled.
- Madagasikara - Mary Sherwood, touching lives in Madagascar. Donate: AMSC, PO Box 1072, Sault Ste.Marie, ON P6A 5N7
- MAP Reintegration - Working to return released inmates to productive lives.
- Wycliffe Bible Translators
- The Voice of the Martyrs
- Jawabu Children's Home, Nairobi - Fred Omondi
- Send Mary to Medical School - Mabel & Koffi Sampson's daughter (No tax receipt; huge satisfaction)
- Telus Ride for Dad - My Personal page, 2014
- Guatemala Stove Project - based in Ottawa (Sandy Davidson)
- Samaritan's Purse - Franklin Graham, President
- RZIM - Ravi Zacharias International Ministries
- The Coldest Night of the Year The CKCU Ice Breakers - My team
- Jericho Road Christian Ministries - residential addiction recovery houses in Ottawa
- Canadian Council of Christian Charities
- PLAN Canada - sponsoring children and other related activity
- World Hope Canada, based in Ottawa, working in Sierra Leone, Niger, Ukraine
- Mission Aviation Fellowship M.A.F.
- SIM Canada
- support Norm and Audrey Henderson for their Angola mission, which started in 2009
Listen to interview - 20 mins - broadcast on CKCU 93.1 FM on Christmas Day 2008.
- First Place Options - pregnancy centre - Tel 613-228-7475 E-mail: info(at)firstplaceoptions.ca. Watch CKCU radio special.
- Bicycles-for-humanity.org/Ottawa - Seb, Jarlan Tce, Kanata, 613-799-7985
Bikes arrive in Namibia
- CanadaWhoCares Volunteering in decline
- The Arthritis Society - Ontario
- Charitable giving - the financial planning aspects
- ANCOP Canada - Answering the Cry of the Pooor
- Watercan - Canada, and Water aid - UK
- Christian Blind Mission International
- International Justice Mission - There is more slavery in the world today than ever before.
- Camp Trillium
- Anglican Relief and Development Fund - Canada - Anglican Network in Canada
- Volunteer Canada
- Volunteer Ottawa
Volunteer in the USA
- Telci - Nepean-based Therapeutic & Educational Living Centres Inc.
- Ottawa Innercity Ministries
- Child Cybersearch
- Community Foundation of Ottawa
- Education without Boundaries - Bob & Beth Carson, Kanata
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation - Walk to cure diabetes - Sun June 9 2002, Ottawa
- Al Anon - Ottawa activities - for families of alcoholics: 1-888-4ALANON
- Amnesty International: Call 1-800-836-9596 to join Amnesty for $21 per month
- ArtsCan Circle - linking creative artists with native youth at risk
- Canadian Friends of Sierra Leone
- Coalition for Seniors: 1-877-783-9880. Ontario seniors' concerns for their future
- Acts Ministries (our friend Pastor Ron Piggott)
- Christian Blind Mission International
- World Relief Canada
- Project Ploughshares - building peace. Toll free: 888-907-3223
- Compassion (Canada) - child sponsorship
- Easter Seals
- Eurovangelism, 905-821-6311, 207-2476 Argentia Rd, Mississauga, ON., L5N 6M1
- Global Village Market
- HelpAge Canada (Was 'Help the Aged')
- Hockey Ministries International
- Link Charity.ca - Charitable annuities
- Mercy Corps (now incorporates Net Aid)
- The Hunger site.
- United Way and Ottawa 2000 Day of Caring
- Victims of Violence - based in Ottawa
- The War Amps
- World Vision (We have a World Vision
"daughter") - see "relations"
Mel Rusnov - This I believe - Personal philosophy of a remarkable woman
Giving to Charities
- tax and other incentives
Giving to your
Small and rural charities CRA report August 2008
CRA Charities page