These three Star Wars wax packs are from the first three series of Star Wars trading cards issued in Canada by O-Pee-Chee; Topps' Canadian affiliate for distributing trading cards in Canada. The cards themselves are of a generally higher quality than their American counterparts. The images and the textual information on the front and reverse are much more bright and crisp. Unlike the United States, who had five series of trading card sets issued for Star Wars, Canada only had three.
Essentially, all of the American sets were available in Canada except for series 3 - the yellow bordered set. The stickers included in the wax packs were the exact same as the American versions. Strangely, the first waxpack released by O-Pee-Chee was only priced at 10 cents Canadian, whereas the American waxpacks were sold for 15 cents apiece. What is odd about this is that Canadian items are usually priced higher than American products. The price was increased to 15 cents for the subsequent 2nd and 3rd release waxpacks. The breakdown by set is as follows:
- Series 1 with C-3PO on wrapper (Blue bordered cards) #1-#66 (stickers #1-11) = Topps Series 1
- Series 2 with Darth Vader on wrapper (Red bordered cards) #67-#132 (stickers #12-22) = Topps Series 2
- Series 3 with an X-Wing Fighter on wrapper (Orange bordered cards) #133-#264 (stickers #34-55) = Topps Series 4 & 5 combined
An error that was unique to the third set of O-Pee-Chee Star Wars trading cards can be found on card #183 - Ben Kenobi. You will notice that the caption incorrectly states the wise Jedi's name to be "Ken" Kenobi. The error was never corrected, and remains a little-known anomaly in the Star Wars card collecting world.
O-Pee-Chee Empire Strikes Back Trading Cards
- Series 1 with Darth Vader on red wrapper (Red bordered cards) #1-#132 (stickers #1-33) = Topps Series 1
- Series 2 with Darth Vader on blue wrapper (Blue bordered cards) #133-#264 (stickers #34-66) = Topps Series 2
- Series 3 with Darth Vader on yellow wrapper (Yellow bordered cards) #265-#352 (stickers #67-88) = Topps Series 3
Overall, the O-Pee-Chee trading card sets from the ESB era were no different from their American counterparts. Canada never received the oversized set of Topps cards that were available in the United States.
O-Pee-Chee Return of the Jedi Trading Cards
- Series 1 with Luke Skywalker, Jabba the Hutt, Darth Vader or Wicket on yellow wrapper (Red bordered cards) #1-#132 = Topps Series 1 (less the stickers)
O-Pee-Chee's last Canadian trading card set was the lone entry in the ROTJ trading card era. Canada only received the first set of Return of the Jedi cards, although no stickers were included with the Canadian wax packs. The stickers that were packaged with the American wax packs came in different colours, and there are actually 2 different sets of the same images. The composition is as follows:
- Stickers #1-#11 available in either yellow or purple border
- Stickers #12-#22 available in either red or light blue border
- Stickers #23-#33 available in either orange or green border
For Sale: I have several O-Pee-Chee and Topps Star Wars (very limited availability), ESB and ROTJ singles for sale for $2.00 (U.S.) apiece. If you are looking for any, please send me your O-Pee-Chee (Canadian) wantlist and/or your Topps (U.S.) wantlist and I'll see if I have what you are looking for.