History of CFUW
CFUW/Kanata was founded on July 21, 1995 with 62 charter members. It is one of 122 clubs across Canada with approximately 10,000 members.
The following women have been presidents of our club:
- Joy Forbes - (2010-2012)
- Monique Tougas - (2009-2010)
- Judy Whyte - (2008-2009)
- Elizabeth Pulker - (2007-2008)
- Barbara Kincaid - (2006-2007)
- Petra Friedrichson - (2005-2006)
- Loraine Drewell - (2004-2005)
- Anthea MacNeil - (2003-2004)
- Pam Byrtus - (2002-2003)
- Judy Tinsley - (2000-2002)
- Susan Benn - (1999-2000)
- Phyllis Paryas -(1998-1999)
- Margaret McLaws - (1997-1998)
- Marianne Wilkinson - (1996-1997)
- Barbara Carriere - (1995-1996)
- Shirley Hendry (Acting President) - (1994-1995)
The Canadian Federation of University Women (CFUW) was founded in 1919 to promote understanding and friendship among university women, to encourage through club meetings individual efforts toward intellectual development, to work for the advancement of education, art, science, literature and social reform, and to stimulate the interest of university women in public affairs and afford an opportunity for the expression of united opinion.
The International Federation of University Women (IFUW) was founded after the first World War as a means of encouraging international understanding and to help prevent future wars. It was founded in 1919 by women graduates from Canada, Great Britain and the United States of America. Today some 150,000 university women from 77 national federations and associations are members of IFUW.