I tend to spend the atheletic part of my recreational time with
Canoeing (whitewater / flatwater),
kayaking (whitewater / flatwater / sea kayaking),
a bit of biking, sailing, windsurfing,
and whatever else looks like fun.
Here are some of the local clubs I am (or was) involved with
And a few other clubs that i'm not really involved with...
Boating, Canoeing and Kayaking
See the Sea Kayak section also.
Canoe, Kayak, whitewater...
Journey on the Coppermine River Read about a canoe expedition I was on in 1997. Hmm, this link seems broken now.
Associations, clubs etc.
- Coureurs de Bois - Canoe and Kayak Club, mostly whitewater
- Ottawa YMCA-YWCA Canoe Camping Club (OYCCC)
A local club, focus on canoes, both flat and whitewater programs, good training for novices.
- Ottawa River Runners Another local whitewater kayak club, includes competitive programs
- Ottawa Hostel Outdoors Club Canoeing, hiking and more
- Rideau Canoe Club Located on Mooneys Bay
- Ottawa Outing Club Closing in Ottawa - Cycling, Sea Kayaking, Canoeing, Hiking.
- CRCA - Canadian Recreational Canoeing Association including KANAWA - Canada'a Canoeing & Kayaking Magazine
- Paddle Canada Conceived in 1971, Paddle Canada was derived from the need of recreational paddling enthusiasts from across Canada to co-ordinate the efforts of non-competitive canoeing and kayaking.
- Canadian Canoe Association Canada's competitive paddling site.
- Canoe Ontario Very good collection of local information. Outfitters, clubs, courses, etc.
- Wilderness Canoe Association Toronto centered but also southern ontario - a non-profit organization of individuals interested in wilderness travel, mainly by canoe, kayak, and backpacking and, in winter, by skis and snowshoes.
- Canadian River Managment Society USA based but has canadian chapter - (RMS) is a national nonprofit professional organization. The mission of the Society is to support professionals who study, protect, and manage North America's rivers
- Ottawa White Water Paddler - Jim Dodds' site
- Rideau Canal Waterway
Festivals / Events
This is one of my favorite passtimes!
I figure I've paddled about 2400km, and around 200 days in a sea kayak.
My main kayak is a Nimbus Telkwa. I also have a
Perception Aquaterra Sea Lion.
Some of my more significant trips include:
- Georgian Bay (days in brackets)
- 2012 (5 d) Snug Harbour/Lenice/Big McCoy/Franklin
- 2012 (4 d) Manitoulin/Sheguiandah/Strawberry Island/Baie Fine/Dreamer's Rock/Quartz Rock/Topaz Lake/The Pool
- 2011 (5 d) Dillon/Red Rock
- 2010 (4 d) Parry Sound/Umbrella Islands
- 2009 (5 d) Dillon, Point-au-Baril, Mckoy, Limestones, Red Rock, Franklin
- 2009 (7 d) Killarney, Foxes, Badgeley, Partridge
- 2008 (2 d) Shawanaga GLSKA Rendezvous
- 2007 (2 d) Beausoleil Island
- 2007 (2 d) Flowerpot Island, Bear's Rump
- 2007 (8 d) Key River/Bustards/Outer Foxes + Tobermory/Flowerpot Island(GLSKA) + Beausoleil Island(GLSKA)
- 2006 (5 d) Franklin/Snake I(GLSKA)
- 2005 (6 d) Dillon/McCoys
- 2005 (6 d) Killarney/Foxes
- 2003 (5 d) Dillon/Pointe au Baril
- 2002 (8 d) Killarney-French River
- 2001 (8 d) Byng/Britt - Bustards
- 2000 (5 d) Killarney and south
- 1999 (9 d) Byng/Britt-Snug Harbour
- 1998 (9 d) Killarney-French River
- 1993 (10 d) French river delta area, Bustards
- 1990 (4 d) French River+Georgian bay (canoe)
- Baja California Sur, Mexico (Mar/Apr 2007). Paddled on the Sea of Cortez from around Loreto to near La Paz (11 days).
- Magdalen islands (aka. Îles de la Madeleine) 2006
- Thousand Islands - St. Lawrence River 2012, 2011, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2000, 1999, 1998, 1994 - typically Gananoque to Mallorytown landing
- Saguenay River 2003 (4 days) & 1995 (4 days), Baie St. Paul to Tadousac - whale watching
- Rideau River and Canal 2012 Kingston to Narrows, 2007 Kingston to Ottawa
Someday I hope to paddle on the left coast of BC, Maine, more of Baja, Belize,
Mingan Islands, Florida Everglades, New Jersey pine barrens...
This is a passtime I keep busy with. Not much in the way of links here I'm afraid.
Running / Jogging
Lake Placid (High Peaks region), New Hampshire are some common destinations.
Downhill & General
Hut-to-hut expeditions in Papineau-Labelle and Mt. Tremblent park are favorites
of mine. I'm also getting into going back-county and blazing trails
through the forest.
Scuba diving and snorkelling
I've got a couple of diving certifications (ACUC, PADI-advanced) and have done
about 25 dives (not much lately).
I done dives in Australia (Great barrier reef), Florida (Destin),
St. Lawrence river, Thailand (Ademan Sea), Georgian Bay (Tobermory)
and several other places...
- Well I haven't got around to putting any links in for this one yet.
Just took up this sport, seems like a lot of fun and a serious work
I'm a real beginner at this one.
I'm a real beginner at this one too!
Back to Mike Cockburn's Homepage