Friends, Family & Me
Related to my family genealogy
- See my Friends and Family page also
- My little page on Family Tree Maker's web site
- A family tree of some 500 people spanning over 240 years
(to around 1750) has been collected and stored using the software
'Family Tree Maker'.
- Joel Stone, 1749-1833, 4th Great grandfather - founded Gananoque in 1792, united empire loyalist.
- Thomas Cockburn, 1792-1852, 3th great grandfather[not completely sure yet] - Fife, Scotland, inheritances he left behind include: Eight day clock, furniture, feather bed, blankets, cow, pig & dung, clothes.
- Charles MacDonald, 1784-1826, 3rd great grandfather - Sucessful business in Gananoque
- Charles MacDonald, 1837-1928, 1st cousin 3 times removed - Railroad builder, iron bridges, built clock tower in Gananoque, prisoner in Gettysburg, Blinkbonnie residence in Gananoque.
- Neil Morrison, 1830-1908, great great grandfather, Dominion Police, Ottawa
- Joseph Cockburn, 1845-1892, great great grandfather - Emigrated from Fife, Scotland, farmed near Sutton/Lake Simcoe, ON
- Samuel McCullough, 1860-1929, great grandfather - acid shed worker in Stevenston, Ayr, Scotland a place known for explosives production at the time.
This must have been Alfred Nobel's factory (the guy who also created the Nobel Prize).
Rancher, builder in Prospect Lake, Saanich BC.
- C.S. MacDonald, 1887-1954, grandfather - Dominion Land Surveyor, mapping Canada's north, 1930 aerial survey. 1935 President 'The Canadian Institute of Surveying'.
- Other names: Lake, Kay, Leslie, Kitchen, Aird, Rycroft, Winfield.
Cockburn (my father's family). Also Rycroft/MacPherson, Kaye, Lake, Leslie.
Macdonald (my mother's family). Also McCullough/Wray, Morrison, Stone.
- World Gen Web Project
- Canada Gen Web Project
- UK+Ireland Genealogy
- Authentic Ireland Travel Irish Genealogy - list of links
- Scotland WWW Page
- Cyndi's list of geneological sites on the net - Scotland
- Scottish Clans, Septs and Families in Nova Scotia
Genealogy in General
- * The Church of Jesus Christ of Later Day Saints Lots of information now available online!
- Gen Circles Searches many databases, i've found some helpful stuff here
- Rootsweb - Grenville/Leeds section Message board organized by family and location.
- RootsWeb Message Boards The have boards by location and family name
- Canadian Genealogy Center Canada government - includes 1871, 1901 census,
Canadian National Archives
Search 1871 Ontario census, 1901 census of Canada, records of those serving in WW1
- Canadian virtual war memorial Some information about those serving in WW2
- * The Canadian County Atlas Digitial Project Has many old maps of Ontario
- Family Tree Legends Search Social Security Death Index here (USA)
- RootsWeb Genealogical Data Cooperative
Ontario Gen Web See some online census records: 1881, 1891, 1901
- * FreeCen UK Census online
- Native Soil Manuscripts collection, deeds in particular
- The Gathering of the Clans www.tartans.com
- Genes Reunited
- mytrees.com You get credit for searches by entering data for them. 1871 census.
- Scottish surnames on the net Has a surname and clan based search tool.
Doesn't give much info but can put you in touch with people of interest.
- Genealogy Toolbox See the search engine
- Ancestry.com accesses more than 800 databases - latest on genealogy trends, practices and insights from professionals; resources books, software and more.
USA info is strength. Commercial, need to pay to access much of this.
- Who Where search for ancestors
- See my searching page also for living people searches.
- GENDEX -- WWW Genealogical Index
Claims to index nearly 4 million individuals. <-- Seems to be hijacked to some medical company?
- Searchable Genealogy Links A good list of on-line databases <-- Gone
- Search 1871 Census of Canada - Genealogy - ONTARIO <-- GONE
- soc.genealogy.surnames Newsgroup - specially formated headers for finding people
- alt.sigs.genealogy general discussion
- ncf.sigs.genealogy NCF Newsgroup
- soc.genealogy.methods Genealogical methods and resources. (Moderated)
- soc.genealogy.computing Genealogical computing & net resources.
- soc.genealogy.marketplace Genealogy services and products.
- soc.genealogy.medieval Genealogy in the period from roughly AD500 to AD1600.
- soc.genealogy.misc General genealogical discussions.
Other groups in the soc.genealogy series include:
- african -> Genealogy of Africa and the African Diaspora.
- australia+nz -> Australia, New Zealand, and their territories.
- benelux -> Genealogy in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
- computing -> Genealogical computing & net resources.
- french -> Francophone genealogy.
- german -> Family history including a German background.
- hispanic -> Genealogy relating to Hispanics.
- jewish -> Jewish genealogy group.
- marketplace -> Genealogy services and products.
- medieval -> Genealogy in the period from roughly AD500 to AD1600.
- methods -> Genealogical methods and resources.
- misc -> General genealogical discussions.
- nordic -> Genealogy in the Scandinavian countries.
- slavic -> Genealogy of Slavic peoples.
- surnames -> Surname queries & tafels.
- uk+ireland -> Genealogy of Britain, Ireland & offshore isles.
- west-indies -> Genealogy of the West Indies.
Back to Mike Cockburn's Homepage