Me (Mike Cockburn)
Some of my recreational interests include music
playing sports, paddling
(Sea Kayak in particular),
camping, travel, cars/driving,
photography, dining and
movies. You will find links related
to some of these hobbies later in this page.
I was born in the Chinese year of the Dog.
My sun sign is Pisces.
with the moon in Cancer.
- Genealogy Some stuff related to my family here
and in the family section below.
- Quotes - A few quotes I have collected.
- Humor - Some of that silly email humor which seems to keep filling up my mailbox.
- Work Some
of the work I have been doing lately includes programming and website development.
This link will take you to a list of some of these sites.
- Ledbury School Junior High School
- U of Waterloo HomePage I went to university here.
- Volunteer (places I have donated time to): Compucorps, Habitat for Humanity
Here are a few
not the best collection as I have not spent much time on this section.
Also see some of the hashes(running groups) I have visited while travelling,
and some of my Sea Kayak Trips
Aug 2010 - Western USA, Canada. Drove out US 2 to Montana, Glacier National Park.
Up to Yoho in Alberta for a week at the Elizabeth Parker hut (actually Wiwaxy hut) hiking the peaks there (Yukness, Abbott Hut).
Then on to Canmore for another week of hikes (Heart, Lady Macdonald, East Rundle, Middle Sister).
Finally driving back home through Canada, stopping for a night a Sleeping Giant near thunder bay for a climb up to the top.
Mar/Apr 2007 - Baja California Sur, Mexico. Paddled on the Sea of Cortez from around Loreto to near La Paz. Also drove the east cape road, Cabo Pulmo, Todos Santos, San Jose etc.
Nov 2006 - USA driving tour, partly on the old route 66, as far as texas, arizona, new mexico. Many national parks along the way.
Jun 2006 - Magdalen Islands, QC. Visiting my bro and doing some kayaking.
Aug 2004 - two weeks canoeing on the Churchill river in Saskatchewan.
Jan 2002 - two weeks in Chiapas & Yucatan Mexico: Cancun, Chitzen Itza, Merida, Pelenke, San Christobal, Sumidera Canyon, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen.
March 2001 - toured Brazil for a month with various friends. We did some Carnival partying in bahia, hiking in a number of the national parks, and beaching in several places on the coast. See places listed below.
Fall 1998 - visited the Grand Canyon, northern Arizona/Utah.
In spring '98 I was to Guatemala.
Here I studied Spanish for two weeks at
in Xela (Quetzaltenango) for two weeks then traveled to
Volcan Tajamulco (highest spot in Central America, 13845 ft), Tikal, El
Remate, Flores, Antigua,
Volcan Pacaya (active, big eruptions starting 5 days after i climbed it!),
Lago Atitlan (San Pedro, Santiago,
Other trips in the last while include: Israel - 1997,
Churchill Manitoba - 1996 (to visit my bro and some of the polar bears),
1997 - Yellowknife/Kugluktuk(Coppermine)/Arctic Ocean
I managed to do a fair bit of travel both on holiday's and
with work. Some of the 35+ countries I've visited include:
- Australia/85: Along much of the east coast (Daintree to Canberra)
- Africa: South Africa/85
- Asia: China/86 (Chengdu, Beijing, Shanghai),
Japan/86&94 (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Nara, Hakone region), Singapore,
Malaysia (Tioman Island),
Thailand/86&91 (Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, Koa Pi Pi, Krabi, Koa Phangan, Phangnga,
Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Chiang Shen), Indonesia (Bali), Hong Kong
- Middle East: Saudi Arabia/85 (Jeddah, At Taif),
Jordan/88&89 (Amman, Dead Sea, Petra), Iraq/89 (Baghdad),
Israel/97 (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem, Bethleham)
- Caribean / Central America: Dominican Republic/93, Nevis, Guatemala/98
- North America: Canada, USA, Mexico/2002&7 (Baja, Chiapas, Yucatan, Tijuana)
- South America: Brazil/2001 (Salvador, Puerto Seguro, Chapada Diamantina, Abrolhos, Caraša, Caparaˇ - Pico de Bandeiras(9482 ft), Serra dos OrgŃos - Pico do Sino, Tijuca)
- Western Europe: England, Scotland, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium,
Germany, Spain, Italy, Greece, Vatican City
- Eastern Europe/90: Yugoslavia, Poland (Warsaw), Czechoslovakia (Prague)
- I've also had brief transit stops
in Fiji, Egypt, Kenya (Nairobi), United Arab Emirates, Antigua and a few other places.
Sushi, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian and other interesting foods are my
Genealogy Some stuff related to my family here also
Mom & Dad (in Kingston or Georgian Bay)
Mark (My udder bruder in Toronto)
- Spaceport Canada/Akjuit Aerospace My bro Mark used to work here.
The spaceport was up in Churchill, MB where he lived for a while.
Churchill is also the Polar Bear capital.
Carrie (My Sister in Newcastle, ON)
John (My bruder in Quebec City)
Friends & Associates
Back to Mike Cockburn's Homepage