Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount
The complete background story about this modification is in our on-line journal.
The purpose of this modification is to move the two gear shifters for the right hand gears from the left hand side to the right hand side to allow the right hand occupant to shift their own gears instead of having the left hand person shift their gears for them.
This modification can be used on:
- Rhoades Car 4W2PCP (coupe)
- Rhoades Car 4W4P (four seater)
- Rhoades Car 4W2PLF (long frame)
Once parts and tools are assembled this modification should take approx 90 minutes
- Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount (qty 1) (see Appendix One)
- 1/4" X 2.5" steel bolts (qty 2)
- nuts (qty 2)
- washers (qty 4)
- 11" nylon cable ties - black (qty approx 20)
- Grease pencil or marker
- Drill bits - 1/4" and 1/8" or smaller
- Side cutters
- No. 2 Phillips screwdriver
- 5mm metric hex wrench
- Small metal files - round or half-round
- Two 7/16" sockets or wrenches
- 9mm socket or wrench
- Locktite thread locker (not required if self-locking nuts are used)
- Safety glasses
- Hearing protection
Part One: Installing the Mount
- Ensure all gear selectors are in the highest gears to remove all cable tension.
- Remove seats from Rhoades Car.
- Locate Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount on the right centre tube at the same location as the round tube is on the left hand side.
- Mark location of holes on quadracycle centre tube with grease pencil or marker.
- Remove Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount.
- Punch hole locations with centre punch.
- Retry Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount in position to confirm that punched marks are in the right place.
- While wearing safety glasses and hearing protection, drill two pilot holes in the top of quadracycle centre tube with 1/8" or smaller bit.
- Retry Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount in position to confirm pilot holes are correct.
- Remove Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount
- Drill two 1/4" holes in top of quadracycle centre tube, ensuring that drill is held perpendicular to surface.
- Drill two holes in bottom of quadracycle centre tube by drilling through existing holes from step above, ensuring that drill is held perpendicular to the top surface.
- With small round or half-round file carefully remove any burrs on top and bottom holes.
- Fit the Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount so that the tube is angled forward.
- Install the Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount with two bolts, using washers under the head and nut of bolt. For ease of later inspection nuts should be on top.
- Tighten Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount in position using two 7/16" sockets or wrenches to tighten the two bolts.
- If self-locking nuts are used then tighten these.
- If non-self-locking nuts are used then apply Locktite thread locker to prevent loss of nuts.
Part Two: Relocating the shifters and cables
- Using side cutters remove any installed nylon cable ties that hold the shifter cables on both sides of the quadracycle.
- Using a 9mm socket or wrench loosen the shifter cable retainer on the right-rear de-railleur where it attaches to the de-railleur. This will be a long cable.
- Remove the cable from the derailleur and pull the cable through the cable housing at the shifter and remove the cable and cable housing from the quadracycle. Retain for re-installation.
- Using a 5mm hex wrench loosen the shifter cable retainer on the left-front derailleur where it attaches to the derailleur.
- Remove the cable from the derailleur and pull the cable through the cable housing at the shifter and remove the cable and cable housing from the quadracycle. This will be a short cable. Retain for re-installation.
- Using a no. 2 Phillips screwdriver remove the bottom shift lever assembly from the round tube on the steering column on the left hand side, by removing the bolt.
- Re-install the shift lever assembly on the Right hand Gear Shift Lever Mount, locating it an inch below the top of the mount.
- Re-install the short cable on the shift lever assembly on the left hand side, by running the free end through the shifter and the cable housing. Route it to the left-front derailleur, parallel to the other cables.
- Attach it to the derailleur by tensioning the cable end by hand and tightening the retaining nut with a 5mm hex wrench.
- Re-install the long cable on the shift lever assembly on the right hand side, by running the free end through the shifter and the cable housing. Route it to the right-rear derailleur, parallel to the other cables. This cable will be slightly longer than needed, but by securing it carefully it will not be necessary to cut the cable or the cable housing.
- Attach it to the derailleur by tensioning the cable end by hand and tightening the retaining nut with a 9mm socket or wrench.
- Ensure that the cables do not come into contact with the drive chains or that they will interfere with the riders and secure them in place with nylon cable ties as required.
- Tighten all cable ties by pulling on the tails with a pair of pliers. When tight, cut off the cable tie tails with side cutters close to the locking mechanism. Avoid leaving sharp edges on the cut cable ties - file if needed.
- Visually ensure that no cables come in contact with any moving parts. Block up the rear bumper so that the rear wheels are off the ground and run through all gears while turning the pedals by hand to ensure that all cables remain clear of all moving parts under all gear configurations. Ensure that all gears, cables and shifters move smoothly and that all gears can be attained.
- Replace seats, again ensuring that the cables are clear of seat mounts
- Conduct a test drive to ensure that all gears shift correctly and smoothly. Adjust cable tensioners as required to achieve this.
Appendix One - The Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount
The Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount can be made locally at any welding shop.
It consists of:
- a steel plate 1.5" X 4" X 0.125 thick
- a steel tube 7.25" X 7/8"OD X 0.64" wall thickness.
The plate has two 1/4" holes drilled in it for mounting to the quadracycle square centre tube.
The tube is welded to the centre of the plate at a 20 degree angle from the vertical. A cap may be optionally installed or welded in place on the tube to keep water and dirt out.
The welded Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount should be primed and painted to prevent corrosion.
Click to enlarge
Parts are assembled: (l-r) nylon cable ties, Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount, bolts with nuts, washers.
The Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount in place for fitting.
The Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount fitted in place showing relationship to the gear shift mounting tube on the left hand side.
The Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount viewed from the left hand side.
Two 1/4" holes drilled and de-burred.
The Right Hand Gear Shift Lever Mount bolted in place with nuts upwards and blue Locktite thread locker in place.
Complete assembly showing gear shifters in place and new cable routing.
Completed assembly viewed from the left hand side, showing new cable routing.
Completed assembly with seats installed, viewed from the right hand side.
Completed assembly showing cable routing on right hand side.
Front view of completed modification.
View from right hand seat occupant, showing shifter cables nylon cable-tied out of the way of feet.